Monday, October 7, 2013

Seasonally Simple - Pecan and Fresh Apple Quick Bread


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...While I'm still working my way through the stash of apples we collected last weekend, our local farm markets have begun the annual push toward Halloween, their big holiday of the year. In anticipation of the big day, minor events are held on the weekends that precede the holiday. One of them is called the Apple Daze, and this is a time for family's to gather in the pumpkin patches and local orchards to collect produce and fruit samples for their own fall kitchens. We had near perfect weather for the weekend, so activity in the those pumpkin patches and orchards, while normally pastoral, displayed elements of Armageddon this year. The wait for parking and a shortage of pickin' buckets didn't bring out the best in some of the pluckers, so the Silver Fox and I headed to the Loraine Valley for the relative calm of the grape harvest and a glass of wine on the terrace of the King Estate. Once home, I decided to give this apple bread a try. It came together quickly and had a wonderful aroma as it baked, but I must admit it debuted to mixed reviews. One bite nearly sent me into sugar shock, but the Silver fox loved the nutty sweetness of the loaf and actually continues snack on it. I suspect those of you who have an intense sweet tooth will also love this bread. It is a moist loaf and while apples are used, the dominant flavor in the loaf is that of the pecans. For best flavor, toast them before folding them into the bread batter. I hope those of you who enjoy really sweet desserts will give this bread a try. Here is how it is made.

Pecan and Fresh Apple Quick Bread...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Just A Pinch

Ingredients:
Apple Bread
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cup peeled and finely diced granny smith apples
1 cup chopped pecans
Drizzle
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf loaf pan.
2) Peel and chop apples. Cover and set aside.
3) Combine brown sugar with sour cream, eggs, and vanilla in large mixing bowl. Beat on low speed until well blended.
4) Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat on low until all ingredients are mixed evenly.
5) Fold apples and half of pecans into dough.
6) Scrape dough into prepared pan, patting top down evenly. Sprinkle top of batter with remaining pecans and press them slightly into batter.
7) Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
8) Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes before removing from loaf pan. Place on a wire rack to finish cooling
9) To make drizzle: Combine brown sugar and butter in a small saucepan. Over medium heat, bring mixture to a boil. Once it is boiling, turn heat to low and let sauce simmer for about one minute until it thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and drizzle over top of the bread. Yield: 1 loaf - 8 to 10 servings.

If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      







One Year Ago Today: Grape Harvest Cake















Two Years Ago Today: Blueberry Yogurt Coffecake














Three Years Ago Today: Georgia-Style Brunswick Stew

















Four Years Ago Today: Pumpkin Roll

12 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

Next weekend, our city will be having Apple Days, lots going on! I bet this would be a best seller there.

Lynn said...

Sounds great with a cup of coffee! I'll cut back on the sugar though:@)

Joanne said...

This quickbread would be perfect for fall morning snacking!

Unknown said...

Mmmmmm... I bet that would be so good warm with a nice slather of butter!!!

KimH said...

I've got to get to the store today to pick up white flour & sour cream.. I need to make this today!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Apple "Daze" - I love it! I have the pecan apple quick bread had a calming effect!

Susan Lindquist said...

Yes, ma'am! I do love this apple season and all it brings out of the oven! Have a great week, Mary!

Beverly said...

Mary, this sound delicious. Like you, we are enjoying the plethora of seasonal apples. All so tasty.

I've missed you, and I know I need to do better about visiting. I retired in January, and it seems I am busier than ever. How did I ever have time for a job?!

Priya Suresh said...

Fantastic quick bread, can have few slices happily with a cup of tea.

David said...

Mary, This seasonal bread sounds great... Warm with a little butter and I'm good to go!

FYI...For our dinner tonight we prepared your Crispy Pork Cutlets with Lemon-Caper Sauce. Terrific! Winner, Winner!

Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Kim said...

After cutting on the sugar, I will try this one:)

Emily said...

I have not made bread in forever but with this cooler weather am just about ready to pull out the old bread maker! This looks delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly